The Department of Social Relations has been playing a key role at the East West University since its establishment on June 1, 2005. With more than fourteen members of academic staff, it has a strong research base, with interests spanning a wide area of theoretical and applied issues.
The Department is interdisciplinary in nature. Students of all undergraduate programs and departments at EWU are required to complete 12 credits of their total credit requirement through the above courses. The Department plans to offer minor in one or more disciplines in the social sciences and is set to become a full-fledged degree awarding department in the near future. The academic mission of the Department of Social Sciences is to promote eastern and western values in its courses. The courses are structured to provide a solid foundation of social science principles while allowing choice in order to appeal to a wide spectrum of interests.
The Department has a reputation for high quality teaching and personal attention to students. Faculty members in the Department are committed to the interdisciplinary ethos and culture. The specific objectives of the Department of Social Sciences are to:
• Develop in each student an understanding of the principles that influence human societies
• Help students develop analytical and critical thinking skills
• Guide students in doing social research
• Promote interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary forms of instruction
• Empower students to function in a diverse, global society The Department of Social Sciences provides an environment that fosters creativity, individuality and scholarship. It endeavors to promote an appreciation for and understanding of the events, ideas, and forces that shape the world.
Department Chair: Dr. Bijoy P. Barua Telephone: +880-2-09666775577 Ext. 142/153