Master of Science in Applied Statistics
The Department of Applied Statistics has been offering the Master of Science (MS) in Applied Statistics since 2013. This program is designed carefully to meet the growing demand for applied statisticians in Bangladesh and worldwide. The program will prepare graduates for the statistics profession, which involves the application of mathematical and statistical techniques to the scientific fields in government and private sectors. After successful completion of the courses in applied statistics each participant will receive a MS certificate and a grade report. The courses will be taught in the evening session or in the weekends.
The main purpose of MS in Applied Statistics program is to train graduates and professionals to become expert statisticians to compete skillfully at national and international job markets.
Career in Applied Statistics
- A properly trained applied statistics graduate will be able to produce trustworthy data, can analyze the data, and draw practically meaningful conclusions.
- Applied statisticians may be found anywhere from research and development to production and management, in every field of scientific endeavor.
- Graduates in applied statistics can find a variety of career opportunities open to them in health and socio-economic research; government and nongovernmental surveys; biological sciences; business, industry and market research; education sectors; environmental research; banking and insurance sectors and so on.
- The career of statisticians is highly rated in higher education and research.
- East West University offers this program in addition to BS in Applied Statistics and MS in Actuarial Science.
- The only private university offering MS in Applied Statistics
- East West University is the top ranked private university according to independent surveys.
- EWU offers generous financial aid to students based on performance and need.
- The department has expert faculty members with PhD from North America and Europe.
- The library is resourceful and the computer labs are fully equipped with internet facilities.
Credit Hours and Duration
Total 35 credit hours will be needed to complete MS degree. There are two streams in this program: Stream 1 is MS by course work only and Stream 2 is MS by course work and a thesis. Stream 1 includes 18 credit hours from 5 core courses and 17 credit hours from optional courses. Stream 2 includes 18 credit hours from 5 core courses, 11 credit hours from 3 optional courses and 6 credit hours from a thesis. For completion of the degree, a student may require at least one academic year (3 semesters). However, according to the university policy, a student may take a maximum of 5 years for a Master degree program.
Eligibility of Admission
(a) Applicants should have a four-year BS/BSc degree in Applied Statistics/Statistics/ Science/ Social Science/ Business/ Bachelor Degree in Medicine; or
(b) A three-year Bachelor degree and a Master degree in Applied Statistics/ Statistics/ Science/ Social Science/ Business subjects; or
(c) Applicants without sound background in Statistics and Mathematics may undertake some undergraduate courses on Applied Statistics and Mathematics such as AST-101, AST-102, AST-201, AST-202, MAT101, and MAT206. These are all 3 credit hour courses and are offered in every semester at the East West University
(d) A minimum GPA of 3 out of 5 or 2nd Division in SSC and HSC examinations; and 2.5 out of 4 or 2nd class at the undergraduate and graduate levels are needed.
- Application forms can be obtained from the EWU Admission Office, Aftabnagar, Dhaka on payment of TK 1,000.
- Application deadline: September 1, 2016 (for Fall 2016 semester).
- Viva voce examination: September 2, 2016.
- Admission will continue in all 3 semesters (Fall, Spring, and Summer) every year.
A student is required to pay fees as per the following rates:
|Items||Amount in TK|
|Tuition Fee Per Credit||3500|
|Lab Fee Per Semester||1000|
|Library Fee Per Semester||500|
|Student Activity Fee Per Semester||510|