FacultyFaculty of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
A/2, Jahurul Islam Avenue
Jahurul Islam City, Aftabnagar
OfficeExt: 304 || Room No# 246
- Graduate Certificate in Communication , 2006, Victoria University, Australia, Distinction
- Master of TESOL, 2005, Victoria University of Melbourne, Australia, High Distinction
- Post Graduate Diploma in TESOL, 2004, Victoria University, Australia, High Distinction
- B.A. in English, 2001, (Exam held in 2003) Dhaka University
Other Language Skills:
- Junior Certificate Course in Turkish, 1999, Institute of Modern Languages, Dhaka University
- Junior Certificate Course in French, 1999, Institute of Modern Languages, Dhaka University
- Senior Certificate Course in Turkish, 2002, Institute of Modern Languages, Dhaka University
Having an aptitude for language learning and teaching, Mrs. Islam opted for specialization in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). With this intention in mind, she completed her first 4-year degree with honors in English at Dhaka University, and then obtained her postgraduate degrees with high distinction from Victoria University, Australia. Afterward she has taught English as a second language to undergraduates and academic writing both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and also been involved in several academic research projects at Victoria University. On her return to Bangladesh, she has been involved in teaching English at East West University. She has presented in international conferences and started publishing articles in national as well as in international journals. At present, she is doing her PhD at Jahangirnagar University, Savar, Bangladesh. Apart from being an academician, Mrs. Islam is also one of the Assistant Proctors at East West University.
- Since 30/ 4/2018: Assistant Professor in English, East West University, Dhaka.
- 1/ 2018-4/2019: Coordinator of Basic English Course (ENG 101), East West University, Dhaka.
- Since 4/ 2012 till 29/4/2018: Senior Lecturer in English, East West University, Dhaka.
- Between 5/2009 and 3/2012: Lecturer in English, East West University, Dhaka.
- Since 2013: Member of UG Syllabus Committee (Linguistics), East West University, Dhaka.
- 9/2013 to 12/ 2014: Coordinator of Composition and Communication Skills Course (ENG 102), English Department, East West University, Dhaka.
- 9/ 2014 to12/2014: Coordinator of GTAs and UTAs, English Department, East West University, Dhaka.
- 1/2013-4/2013: Coordinator of Basic English Course (ENG 101), English Department, East West University, Dhaka.
- 9/ 2011 to 9/ 2012: Coordinator of GTAs and UTAs, English Department, East West University, Dhaka.
- 3/2009 to 5/2009: Lecturer in English, Int’l Islamic University Chittagong (Dhaka Campus).
- 5/2008 to 10/2008: ESL Teacher, Victoria University (VU), Melbourne, Australia.
- 2/2004 to 10/2008: Research Assistant under Prof. Helen Borland, V.U. Australia.
- 8/2006: Research Assistant, ICEPA, V. U. Melbourne, Australia.
- 2019: Member, Web Design Committee, East West University.
- Since 9/2016: Assistant Proctor, East West University, Dhaka.
- 12/2006 to 2/2007: Administrative Assistant, International Branch, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia.
- 8/2005 to 12/2005: Project Officer (Casual) under Dr. Jill Sanguinetti, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia.
-12/2004 to12/2004: Office Assistant at MS Society, (Casual) Blackburn, Victoria. Australia.
Applied Linguistics (Discourse, Pragmatics, EFL, Sociolinguistics), SLA
- Islam, FS Pamela (2021), Using Cartoon: An integrative approach to teaching multiculturism and second language, Asian Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Education, vol. 1, no. 1. pp. 53-61.
- Islam, FS Pamela (2020), The Use of Multimedia and its Impact on Bangladeshi EFL Learners at Tertiary Level, International Journal of Language Education IJoLE, vol. 4, no.1, DOI: https://doi.org/10.26858/ijole.v4i2.12150.
- Islam, FS Pamela (2018), Facebook and Students’ Sub-standard English: A context of Bangladesh, International Journal of Language Education IJoLE, vol.2, no.1, DOI: 10.26858/ijole.v2i1.5001.
- Islam, FS Pamela (2017), Note-taking of English Lessons at Tertiary Level: A context of Bangladesh, International Journal of Language Education IJoLE, vol.1, no.2, pp. 1-7. ISSN (Print) 2548-8457.
- Islam, FS Pamela (2015), Teaching Writing Skills in ESL and EFL Settings: A theoretical consideration, February 2012 to August 2013 issue of The Dhaka University Journal of Linguistics, vol.5-6, no. 9-12, pp.113-126.
- Islam, FS Pamela (2012) EFL Learning Online: A case of South Asia, February 2010 issue of The Dhaka University Journal of Linguistics, vol.3, no. 5, pp.137-153.
- Islam, FS Pamela & Islam, W (December 2010) Globalization, English Hegemony and Cultural Imperialism: The Bangladesh context, in Journal of SUB, vol.2, pp.9-24.
Paper Presented in International Conference:
- Islam, FS Pamela & Islam, W (2009) ESL Materials and Cultural Imperialism: A case of Bangladesh, presented at East West University International Conference on Empire and English Studies- Dec 11-12, 2009.
- Wardhaugh, R (2002). An Introduction to Sociolinguistics (2nd edition). Oxford, Blackwell.
- Hudson, R.A. (1996) Sociolinguistics (2nd edition). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Coulmas, F (1997) (edt). The Handbook of Sociolinguistic. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Holmes, J (2001). An Introduction to Sociolinguistics (2nd edition). Harlow, Essex; Longman.
- Baker, C. (2001), Foundation of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism (3rd edition). Multilingual Matter, Bristol.
- Brisk, ME, (2006), Bilingual Education; From Compensatory to quality schooling (2nd edition). Routledge, New York.
- Scotton, CM, (2006), Multiple Voices: An introduction to bilingualism. .
- Chin, NB and Wigglesworth, G (2007), Bilingualism: An advanced resource book. Routledge. New York.
- Beardsmore, HB (1986), Bilingualism: Basic principles. Multilingual Matters, Avon.
- Thomas, L, et.al. (2004), Language, Society and Power: An Introduction, 2nd Edition, Routledge, New York.
- Craith, MN, (2007), Language, Power and Identity Politics, Palgrave MacMillan, New York.
- Thornborrow, J (2002) Power Talk. London: Pearson Education.
- Benwell, Betham and Elizabeth Stokoe (2006). Discourse and Identity. Edinburgh: Edinburgh
- Wardhaugh, R. (2010). An Introduction to Sociolinguistics (6th ed.) Blackwell Publishing, Victoria.
- Holmes, J. (2013). An Introduction to Sociolinguistics. (3rd ed.) Routledge, New York.
- Hudson, R. (1996). Sociolinguistics. (2nd ed.) Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Davison J. and Moss J. (2000) Issues in English Teaching, Routledge, London.
- Renandya, W.A. and Widodo, H.P. (2016), English Language Teaching Today Linking Theory and Practice, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.