FacultyFaculty of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
A/2, Jahurul Islam Avenue
Jahurul Islam City, Aftabnagar
OfficeExt: 217 || Room No#
M.Phil. in English Language Education
Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, India
M. A. in Teaching English as Second Language
Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, India
B. A. (Hons) in English
Aligarh Muslim University, India
I see myself as a passionate English language teacher. I have been teaching English in India and Bangladesh for about seventeen years. I have a genuine interest for learning and research. My studies have been published from University Putra Malaysia Press, Taylor and Francis online, and Languages in India.
- Coordinator, M.A. Programs, in the Department of English at East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh since December 2020.
- Assistant Professor in the Department of English at East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh since 13th July 2018.
- Chairperson, in the Department of English at East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh from 13th July 2016 to 12th July 2018.
- Assistant Professor in the Department of English at East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh since 29th July 2013.
- Senior Lecturer in the Department of English at East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh from 7th May 2012 to 28th July 2013.
- Resource Person for training college teachers at Bangladesh National University, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Taught communicative teaching skills to college teachers of English.
- Language Instructor (Adjunct) in Certificate of Proficiency in English course at English and Foreign Languages University (EFLU), Hyderabad, India from August 2008 to April 2012. Taught language skills including listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- Coordinator (Adjunct) for Certificate of Proficiency in English course at English and Foreign Languages University (EFLU), Hyderabad, India. Developed tests to examine language skills and coordinated among tutors.
- Coordinator (Adjunct) for training programs in Communication Skills in English for State Bank of India Probationers between September 2009 and February 2010.
- Language Trainer (Adjunct) of English for Banking Purpose at State Bank Staff College, Hyderabd, India from September 2009 to February 2010. Taught business communication to beginner and mid-level bankers of State Bank of India.
- Language Trainer (Adjunct) of English for Biochemical Research at BioServe Biotechnologies (India) Pvt. Ltd., Hyderabad, India from June 2009 to July 2009. Taught communication skills to beginning researchers.
- Language Trainer (Adjunct) of English for Legal Purpose at Mahmood Ali & Vimala Mahmood Advocates, Hyderabad, India from May 2009 to June 2009. Taught spoken English for legal communication to beginner lawyers.
- Language Trainer (Adjunct) at IMS, Hyderabad, India from January 2009 to September 2009. Taught CAT preparation courses for management entrance tests.
- Senior Lecturer in the Department of English at East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh from October 2005 to August 2008.
- Lecturer in the Department of English at East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh from September 2004 to September 2005.
- Language Instructor (Adjunct) at Kakatiya Junior College, Hyderabd, India from June 2002 to June 2004. Taught students in XI and XII classes in a special English course for MBBS admission test preparation.
Second Language Acquisition
Language Testing and Evaluation
ICT in language Education
Pragmatics and Discourse Analysis
Karim, A., Kabilan, M. K., Ahmed, Z., & Reshmin, L. (2021). The Medium of Instruction in Bangladeshi Higher Education Institutions: Bangla , English , or Both ? Journal of Language, Identity & Education, 00(00), 1–15. https://doi.org/10.1080/15348458.2020.1871353
Ahmed, Z., Sultana, S., & Manjet, K. (2020). Inconsistencies and Biases in English Language Testing in Bangladesh Civil Service Preliminary Examination. Pertanika Journal of Social Sciences & Humanities, 28 (S2), 247-262.
Karim, A., Ahmed, Z., Shahed, F. H., Rahman, M. M., & Mohamed, A. R. (2019). Challenges Affecting the Implementation of £50 Million In-Service Training Program for English Teachers in Bangladesh. The Qualitative Report, 24(10), 2457-2485.
Ahmed, Z (2018, November). Effects of Writing in a Class Blog on EFL Students’ Attitude towards Writing, In Proceeding of the 11th International Research Association for Interdisciplinary Studies (RAIS) Conference (pp 339-345), Beltsville, Maryland, 20705, USA. ISSN 2578-8574, ISBN 978-1-945298-16-5.
Ahmed, Z. (2018). Rhetoric and realities of ICT applications in teaching English literature. In Angadi, D. T., Patil, S.D.G., & Kedaranath (Eds.), Indian Indigenous Insights into Language, Literature & Culture. 13-20. ISBN 978-81-931871-8-0.
Alam, F., Haque, M. S. and Ahmed, Z. (2018) (Eds.). English Studies and the Marketplace. Dhaka: East West University. https://www.ewubd.edu/storage/app/media/English%20Dept/2018-english-studies-and-the-marketplace.pdf
Uddin, J., & Ahmed, Z. (2015). Impact of the use of rubrics on the performance of students. Chaos, 3(1), 46-62. ISSN 2304-3792.
Ahmed, Z. (2014). Writing in a class blog: Why, when and how. In Karunakaran, T. (Ed.) English Language Teaching in the Twenty First Century: Issues and challenges. 38-54. ISBN 978-955-659-437-9.
Ahmed, Z. & Karunakaran, T. (2013). Teaching writing: an analysis of the writing tasks used at East West University in Bangladesh. Languages in India, 13 (3), 103-117. ISSN 1930-2940.
Karunakaran, T. & Ahmed, Z. (2013). Teaching writing. International Journal of English Language and Literature, 55-61. ISSN 2347-2642.
Ahmed, Z. (2012). [Review of the book Teacher training essentials by C. Thaine]. ELTAI Journal, 8, 100-102. ISSN 2250-317X.
Attended a three-day-long training conducted by British Council, Dhaka on writing teaching materials for teaching English to displaced Rohingya children in March 2019..
Conducted a day-long Training of Trainers (ToT) session for a project by British Council, Dhaka with English language teachers of displaced Rohingya children in Kutupalong Rohingya Refugee Camp, Cox’s Bazaar on 26th February, 2019 .
Attended a two-day-long workshop on Training of Trainers (ToT) organized by British Council, Dhaka on 11-12 March, 2019.
Conducted a workshop on teaching Academic Writing at the Secondary School level in University of Liberal Arts, Bangladesh in September 2018.
Completed a thirteen-day training program on Language Documentation in East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh in December 2012.
Conducted a workshop on teaching Writing Skills in East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh in November 2012.
Participated in a five-day workshop on Continuous Comprehensive Evaluation conducted by British Council, Hyderabad, India in March 2012.
Conducted a one-day workshop on Continuous Comprehensive Evaluation for research scholars in English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad, India in March 2012.
Conducted a two-day-long workshop for teachers of spoken English in SpeakWell, Mumbai, India in February 2012.
Attended a five-day workshop on Capacity Building for Research Methodology conducted by Institute of Public Enterprise, Hyderabad, India in March 2011.
The following papers have been presented in conferences and seminars:
‘How EFL Undergraduate Learners Prepare for Oral Presentations: Voices from Bangladesh’ at the ELT SUMMIT 2020 organized by International Society for Educational Leadership (ISEL) held online on June 27-28, 2020.
‘Effects of Writing in a Class Blog on EFL Students’ Attitude towards Writing’ at the 11th International RAIS Conference on Social Sciences held at Johns Hopkins University, USA on November 19-20, 2018.
‘Rhetoric and Realities of ICT Applications in Teaching English Literature’ at the 1st International Conference on Language, Literature, Society & Culture: Interdisciplinary Perspective organized by SSKB College, Karnataka, India in February 26-27, 2018.
‘Mobile Dictionary Use among the Undergraduate Students of English: An exploratory study’ in Independent University, Bangladesh at the 8th BELTA International Conference in January 12-14, 2018.
‘Examining Interactive Multimedia Digital Content for Primary Level English Language Education in Bangladesh’ at the IML International Conference in November, 2017.
‘Impacts of teaching speaking skills in a flipped classroom: A study of ESL instructors at tertiary level in Malaysia’ at the East West University national conference on New Media and Identity Formation in January 2017.
‘Teaching and learning to use technology in ELT: An action research’ at the International Conference on Learning, Teaching, and Student Success (ICLTSS) organized by Montana State University, USA on 3-5 November, 2016.
‘Inconsistencies and biases in English language testing in Bangladesh Civil Service preliminary examination’ as an invited plenary speaker at the international conference on "Pluralism and Multiculturalism in Teaching and Research of English Language and Literatures" organized by Department of English, Vellore Institute of Technology, India on 15-16 April, 2016.
‘Effects of teacher-on-student’ bullying on students’ attitude towards learning’ at the Bangladesh English Language Teachers Association (BELTA) national conference in September 2015.
‘On arriving at a list of most useful sub-technical vocabulary for academic engineering reading and writing: a corpus-based study’ at the 31st All-India Conference of Linguistics, held at University of Hyderabad in December 2009.
‘Teaching academic writing at East West University: anomalies in text selections and task design’ at the 1st International ESL EFL Conference and 6th Annual Conference of Rajasthan Association for Studies in English, held at Janardan Rai Nagar Rajasthan Vidyapeeth in November 2009.
‘Eng 101: Linguistic Description and Pedagogic Prescriptions’ at the department seminar held at the Department of English, East West University, Bangladesh in May 2007.